First and foremost, wow bloody wee. I have to admit, out of all the sights and spectacles I had previously known Bali to have, their abundance of beautiful waterfalls was not one. If you do not have time on your holiday, make time, If you have time make sure you note it down in your iCal with high importance. Jayde and I spent 3 night's in a little mountain town named Munduk (Population, not many) high up in the mountains where we set up base camp as exploration took us north and south of the town's centre. We had split our journey in half due to the shear number of waterfalls and distance needed to cover them.
Day 1 - North
- Gitgit Waterfall
- Aling Aling
Day 2 - South
- Wanagiri Swing
- Handara Golf Course
- Ulun Danu Beratan
We had started our Journey at the end of March which means on an annual scale we had just missed the Wet Season. This could have contributed to the great flow that Mother Nature put on for us, however hard to say. In the 48 hours leading up to our journey there was no down fall recorded (for the flow fanatics out there) and the volume was good. Overall we had a fantastic time and were blown away by the shear size, volume and beauty the area had to offer. We plan to visit more Waterfalls situated in Ubud in the coming weeks to give us the complete picture. Although if we were to stop at what we have seen, I would be pleasantly content.
Civi's Secret's for Success:
- Prepare to be soaked - Due to the vast amount of water flowing through the region, the base of the water fall just aims and shoots like a mountain sized super soaker.
- Everest - Nothing special is easy. Prepare for a calf rub down the following night as the ascension and descension will get you thinking about your overall fitness levels.
- Slippery when wet - I own a lovely, comfortable pair of Addidas runners whom apparently were not made for slippery mossy conditions. Grip and Rip.
- Early Bird gets the Worm - Some of the easy to get to destinations can get flooded (with people) very early. So start early if you want the place to yourself.
- Master Yande - Due to the wide spread location of these waterfalls, we opted for a guide and boy were we more than impressed. Yande was extremely accomodating and helpful. www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1953908-d12254384-Reviews-Bali_Friend_Tour-Klungkung_Bali.html
Gold Coast, Australia born photographer. Currently living in Bali, Indonesia.